Park Box 111, Bletchley
Box 111, Bletchley
Incoming 2½ letter canc. FPO 676 (Inverness, Scotland) to P.O. Box 111, Bletchley, Bucks.
Passed by RAF CENSOR 129
Incoming 30 cent air mail Calgary, Canada (16.9.1943) to Victor E. Graham, Box 111 Bletchley.
Incoming letter (1942) from Switzerland to F/O Percival, P.O.Box 444 London SW
forwarded to "BP" = Bletchley Park. (ex. Berman)
In August 1939, codebreaking operations were physically moved to Bletchley Park (known familiarly as "BP"), an estate 40 miles from London, although its official designation was "Station X", as the tenth station. It was renamed Government Code and Cypher School (GC&CS, often irreverently referred to as the Golf, Cheese and Chess Society) under the direction of Naval Commander Alastair Denniston. A number of "huts" (small frame houses) were built to house the various divisions. Chess masters, mathematicians, professors and linguists were recruited from all over Great Britain, most from Cambridge University.
to German Weatherships (WBS)